Advertisement

Is there value in a simple bicycle?

Is there value in a simple bicycle? In doing most of my own maintenance one of the things I look for in a good product or vehicle is how easily it can be fixed once it breaks. A long time ago I read a good book called "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" written by Robert Pirsig. It's a story about a father who takes his son on a cross country trip riding on an older motorcycle with outdated parts. With his son riding on the back, he's constantly adjusting the points and carburetor while he travels through the mountains. In contrast, his friend who is not mechanically inclined joins him for part of the way. He rides a new BMW motorcycle with all the modern technology. Somewhere along the way his friend has trouble with one of the parts on his motorcycle and looks for professional help from a BMW mechanic. Along the journey the book takes a deep look into the philosophy of individual experience.

I often get asked why I chose to build a custom bike based on a classical design, instead of something new with all the modern advancements? Some wonder if it would be more enjoyable to ride a bike with new technology in order to spend more time in the moment. I often wonder this myself, so in this video I begin the discussion as I replace the alternator in my old van.

Is there value in a simple bicycle,zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance,the tao of bicycle maintenance,the art of bicycle maintenance,bicycle maintenance is art,classic bikes are simple to maintain,the philosophy of bicycle maintenance,zen and the art of bicycle maintenance,choosing a simple bicycle to maintain,

Post a Comment

0 Comments